Introduction and meaning: The rise in earth’s surface temperature as a consequence of greenhouse effect is called Global Warming.
The greenhouse gases such as carbon-dioxide and other pollutants absorb more heat from the sun then it radiates back. This causes an increase in the intensity of heat in atmosphere.
Global Warming: Causes, Effects, Impact and Prevention
Table of Contents
The thickening of earth atmosphere because of presence of increased carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases is called greenhouse effect.
What causes global warming?
- The smoke from factories, industries and vehicles produces greenhouse gases which causes global warming.
- Deforestation is the next cause for the increase of earth’s temperature.
Impact of Global Warming
If the earth’s temperature goes on increasing in the same ratio it is very dangerous for human being. The island may not remain in the global map. Similarly there will be imbalance of water in the earth.
- Climate Change:Global warming is causing climate change. The world’s is becoming warmer and warmer. There is also prediction of regional climate changes along the ecosystem.
- Sea Level Change:One major consequence of global warming arising out of greenhouse effect is the rise in sea level. Four major changes take place prior to this. They are: Thermal expansion, mountain glacier melting, Greenland ice sheet melting and Polar (Arctic and Antarctic) ice sheet melting. Thus, the coastal cities and ports may be submerged under sea-water. Many islands may vanish from the earth surface as well as from the world map.
- Water Balance:Although changes in sea-level have received much publicity, problems of water availability are likely to be more serious and perhaps more expensive to solve. In future, warmer world will face water crisis in some parts while in other regions it will be wetter than it is now.
There is uncertainty regarding regional forecasts of future precipitation as warming of globe makes it difficult to predict. Also, pattern of agricultural changes, or effects on ecosystems in general are fairly unpredictable.
- Human Health:The human health is put at risk because of Global warming. In recent years, there have been newer reports of spread of major tropical diseases with changing climate. As the earth becomes warmer, more and more people are likely to be affected by tropical diseases.
How to prevent Global Warming?
This problem must be solved in time; otherwise the human life in earth will be in danger. So, several steps have taken on it. In case of Nepal we are doing carbon trading. This is also an important step to save the world. Besides this following steps can help a lot in this regard.
- Implement the Laws that governs pollution and greenhouse gases.
- Reduction in thermal power generating stations.Reduced dependence on thermal power for our electricity need would help towards reducing the quantity if carbon dioxide in the environment. The use of fossil fuels for generating conventional energy is a major of greenhouse gases.
- We should not waste paper.We can save paper by keeping documents in electronic format and by not printing emails.
- Planting Trees.Trees absorb carbon dioxide and releases oxygen. Trees are helpful in reducing the problem of global warming.
- Sharing our car. We can share our car while going to office or performing other scheduled activities. On one hand, we will save money, and on the other, we will emit less greenhouse gases.